Feb 15, 2009

The introduction.

I live on Melville Street, which is basically on the border between Liberty Heights and East Springfield.

According to the City of Springfield Web site, "[The] Liberty Heights neighborhood is located in the northwest quadrant of the city, beginning about one mile from the Central Business District. It contains 1,384 acres, plus rights of way, and is the fifth largest of Springfield's seventeen neighborhoods. Its principal boundaries are Chicopee to the north; the Boston & Albany Railroad to the south; St. James Avenue to the east; and portions of Chestnut Street, Cass Street, and Jardine Street to the west."

"East Springfield is located in the northern tier of the city, beginning about two and a half miles east of the Central Business District. It contains 1,504 Acres, plus rights-of-way and is the third largest of Springfield's seventeen neighborhoods. Its principal boundaries are Chicopee to the north; the Boston & Albany Railroad to the south; St. James Avenue to the west; and portions of Brookdale Drive, Page Boulevard and Worcester Street to the east."

When I'm out walking, I generally stay in the Liberty Heights area:


I generally walk from my house down to Merrimac, up around Nottingham, down Carew, and back up Merrimac and to our street with my crazy little dog. In the summer, we'll walk down to Liberty (or sometimes even Armory) to enjoy Van Horn Park. If we don't go there, we go right around the corner to Marshall Roy Park. My fiance and I usually stop at CVS or Subway before heading to Marshall Roy so we can enjoy a little picnic while the crazy dog runs around.

There are already a couple places I have in mind that I want to visit in this area.

And, while I usually walk in Liberty Heights, I conduct more business in East Springfield:


The crazy dog's veterinarian (the East Springfield Veterinary Clinic) is located here, as is my fiance's favorite pizza shop (Two Guys Pizzeria) and my gym Planet Fitness). Trust me, when I'm working out, it's all business.

As a former country girl, I enjoy walking everywhere, and the prospect of walking three or four miles to get to a destination is not a big deterrent for me. I figure there's a lot to see within that range of my home, and I plan on sharing all that wonderful stuff with anyone who cares to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment